Harnessing Vibration Plate Technology for Neuropathy
Medically reviewed by: David M. Joyner, MD, FACS
Peripheral neuropathy is a condition where the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord are damaged, resulting in painful and sometimes life-changing symptoms. Treatments for the disorder range from medications to physical therapy and even surgery in extreme cases.
If you’re seeking a way to reduce symptoms of neuropathy, there might be a promising option at your local gym (or soon to be in your home gym): use of whole body vibration technology.
In this article, we’ll explore the scientific findings on vibration plate use for neuropathy. We’ll dive into how it can relieve nerve pain symptoms and the many other benefits of whole body vibration training for neuropathy.
Understanding Neuropathy and Its Impact
Your peripheral nervous system sends signals from the central nervous system—i.e., your brain and spine—to the rest of the body through motor nerves. When these peripheral nerves become damaged and cannot function or communicate optimally, peripheral motor neuropathy results.Sensory neuropathy is when the peripheral nerves send signals back to the central nervous system (pain, tingling, etc.)
There are over 100 variations of peripheral neuropathy, each with unique symptoms. For example, motor neuropathy affects the nerves that control body movements, from walking to talking to moving the arms. Autonomic neuropathy is a more severe condition that affects the nerves involved in automatic processes we don’t usually even think about, like breathing and heartbeat.
Causes and Symptoms of Neuropathy
Peripheral neuropathy’s most common link is diabetes. More than half of people with diabetes will develop some kind of neuropathy. Other ways neuropathy can develop are from injuries, alcoholism, overexposure to poisons, low vitamin levels, infections, and in some cases, genetics.
The most common symptoms of peripheral neuropathy include the following:
- Onset of prickling, tingling, or numbness in the hands and feet that travels to the arms and legs over time. (Sensory)
- Extreme sensitivity to touch (Sensory)
- Sharp, stabbing or burning pain(Sensory)
- Lack of coordination and falling ( Motor with sensory contribution)
- Muscle weakness(Motor)
These symptoms can make daily life challenging, and can lead to other areas of your health suffering. But what if there was a treatment that could relieve neuropathy symptoms and help improve your overall health simultaneously?
Enter the vibration plate.
The Science Behind Whole Body Vibration (WBV) for Neuropathy
In a recent 2020 study, whole body vibration (WBV) improved symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy by significantly reducing baseline pain in neuropathy patients.
In the study, researchers concluded that WBV was responsible for reduced pain in subjects after two-week and four-week use intervals. Even more promising, subjects reported reduced pain in the weeks following WBV treatment, suggesting that using a vibration plate can have lasting pain reduction effects.
Additionally, WBV may benefit balance and improve gait in diabetic peripheral neuropathy patients, according to a case study published in 2015. In the study, a patient received regular short vibration exercise sessions over four weeks. Interestingly, this case study revealed a notable acute pain reduction after each session and showed the patient’s gait improved in most of the measured variables by the end of study.
While the above research is exciting, these are far from the only benefits of using a vibration plate for neuropathy.
The Comprehensive Benefits of Vibration Training for Neuropathy
While using a vibration plate for neuropathy, you may enjoy the following additional benefits:
- Stronger bones – During WBV training, the vibrations facilitate blood flow to the bones and muscles, increasing the rate at which they recover and heal. Stronger and denser bones can help prevent breaks when an accident happens. Since neuropathy often reduces balance and coordination, increasing your bone strength through WBV is a welcome bonus.
- Improved blood circulation – The stimulating vibrations delivered through a vibration plate can increase skin blood flow. This critical circulation process helps to move vital oxygen and nutrients to cells to support their functioning. The boosted blood circulation has many benefits on its own, such as potentially reducing the appearance of cellulite and helping to balance the fluids in your body, combating lymphedema.
- Enhanced fitness – Leading athletes and trainers use vibration plates to reduce muscle pain and fatigue and build muscle strength while burning fat and calories. Vibration training allows your body to efficiently activate more muscle fibers than traditional strength training, allowing you to build a better body while providing chronic pain relief from neuropathy.
Safety Considerations before Engaging in Vibration Training
While generally safe for all ages and body types, certain preexisting medical conditions can make vibration plates unsafe for some users. You should always discuss your use of whole body vibration technology with your physician, or other medical provider, if you have any pre-existing conditions for which you have concerns.
Power Plate®: Your Partner in Neuropathy Management
Power Plate offers an array of vibration plates and wellness equipment engineered to help your body feel better, regardless of your level of physical fitness.
With Power Plate’s proprietary PrecisionWave™ Technology, you benefit from a precise range of frequencies and amplitudes that have been scientifically proven to deliver robust outcomes. With its signature tri-planar movement patterns, Power Plate is specifically engineered to deliver this precise vibration in a way that is comfortable and safe.
Think a Power Plate at home could be just what you need to revolutionize your health? Check out the incredible lineup of whole body vibration plates at powerplate.com today.
Mayo Clinic. Peripheral neuropathy. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy
Johns Hopkins Medicine. Peripheral Neuropathy. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/peripheral-neuropathy
Pub Med. Whole body vibration improves symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32507132/
ScienceDirect. Case study: Use of vibration therapy in the treatment of diabetic peripheral small fiber neuropathy. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877593411000117
Monmouth Pain. The Benefits of Power Plate Vibration Therapy at Monmouth Pain. https://www.monmouthspine.com/category-wellness/the-benefits-of-power-plate-vibration-therapy/